Thursday, August 25, 2011

Independence month

August is always been an independence month in Indonesia, because we are commemorating our independence day at 17th August. But for me personally, this month is a whole new level of independency, I try to elaborate it in 3 points:

1. Independence from complaining!

"Work very very hard. Be honest and fair. Be professional. Be low-profile. And move very fast." - 5 principles by BJ Habibie

In the past semester, I think I busy nag around about my work and position and salary and whatever it has to do with my office. But then I come to realize that I'm not deserve to be like that yet.

Come to evaluate myself, Did I complete a doctorate degree in Europe in the subject that other people just dream about? not. Did I build a big industry that become the nation proud and giant leap in technology? not. Did I inspire a generation of youth about the dream of technology, science and industry? not. Did I serve as a president at the most chaotic time in this country ever? not. So, do I have the right to complain around and being lazy over a disappointment to system? of course NO!

Mr. Habibie has done all those things, has given a great contribution to this nation, has inspire generations of people and yet, he never find it enough. So why should I?!?!

Don't push your luck, because every man/woman's fortune is already written, if it's not the time... then it's not the time. I will just try my hardest and I have faith that Allah will give me equally.

2. Independence from rats!

Yes, rats! My territory a.k.a my room has been invaded by a rat and for the most bizzare thing ever happened, the rat think that my room is quite comfy to get labor, yes, get LABOR! THERE'S A RAT GET LABOR AT MY ROOM, UNDER MY BED! GROOOOOSSSSSSS!!!!

I can't even let myself look at those baby rats. All I did is waiting the help to get rid of those rats and then I clean up my room like a freak, to the point that I think that I behave like an OCD. After that grossy incident, I filed a complain to the landlady, but hey... like always, she seems to think that it's no big deal. Rats lady, RATS! What in the world you would think that a rat got labor in your room is no big deal??? So, I call it quit, I move out. I have rented out another room yesterday and will move in tomorrow. Sorry, I fear snake, and rat is snake's snack, so I always scare that there will be snake appearance if there are rats, it's a nature... food chain. No tolerance over this one.

3. Independence from credit card debt.

Unfortunately, it is still an on going process. But heyy... I have a quite good progress. I accept the fact that credit card is the most convenient payment method ever existed, please note that you don't have to pay the bill in full amount. But then I remember what my ex-boss have said to me,

"it's alright not to pay your bill in full, but if you spend the money to pay the interest into some investment, it will be more profitable to you" (it's my roughly translation from bahasa to english).

Then he gave me the illustration, that if I spend the same amount of money for interest monthly into investment, like reksadana maybe, in 15 years I will have enough money to send my child to a good university in UK. Holly crap, UK!!!

So I bear it in mind : no credit card interest means investment, investment means college in UK for my child, means she or he can go to college happily without bearing any worry about tuition fee. Means they can reach their education to the fullest and be a smarter man/woman than their mother. That seems really nice to do. So, I close one of my credit card and pay full the other, it feels very light for my next monthly expense also.


That's a wrap for now. I will have tons to do before the Eid holiday. Move out, break fasting with LSS 04, break fasting with elektro 04, and of course mudik... (please ya Allah, give us a decent traffic *pray*). So, happy holiday everyone, and do your last days of ramadhan wisely, it will be a whole year before you meet one again, hope that we all have the opportunity to meet the next ramadhan :)

No comments: