Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Lit the little squirrel: Observation day

Once upon a time, in a country far north, lives a little squirrel named Lit. Lit is a highly discipline squirrel. He believes that the key to success is to maximize the use of his valuable time. He has a packed daily schedule and he extremely punctual to it.

Today is what he calls observation day. When the Bell Tower in the middle of University of Michigan central campus rings 6 times, he is already stationed at his favorite branch of his favorite tree situated in the middle of the Diag. Students from the university usually spend their afternoon there, just to pass time, reading books or just lazying around. This is the time when Lit can freely observe them and learn more on how to be a successful squirrel, after all, they say it is one of the best university in the country. 

Lit looks around and then he find something that seems interesting for him. There is this one girl. Lit recognize the girl. She always spend the afternoon at the Diag with her thin box that has picture and words in it. Today, the girl also have that thin box with her, but unlike the usual, she looks gloomy. She keeps looking at the thin box, tapping on the surface and sad expression comes to her face. Little Lit feels curious. The girl usually very lively, a little stupid perhaps, because sometimes she laugh by herself when she reads. So, this is unusual of her. Lit decides to approach the girl. 

He climb down his tree and running across the Diag and hops to the girl's side. 

"hello weird little girl" said Lit. The girl turn to him and look at him funny.

"are you just calling me little girl?" she said.

"yes, you are little" said Lit.

"I am ten times taller than you!" said the little girl, she looks like she doesn't like to be called 'little'. A little funny for Lit, because she seems to be okay to be called 'weird', which in Lit's opinion is worse than being little.

"ok, I change it then, hello weird girl" said Lit again. The girl smile a little. 'see, she is weird' Lit thinks.

"hello squi" the girl said. Lit got confused.

"who is squi?" he asks. 

"you" reply the girl. 

"don't make up my name, I am Lit" said Lit. 

"oh ok, hello Lit, how are you?" said the girl again. Weird girl. 

"fine thank you, how are you?" 

The girl pause for awhile and then reply, "not really good I think".

"I notice, your looks sad, that's why I come to you, do you have story about that? I like when people tell me their stories" 

The girl looks at Lit with one eyebrow raised, "why you like people's story? it has nothing to do with you anyway".

"I know, but I can always learn something from it" said Lit easy.

"a squirrel who want to learn something?" the girl looks uncertain, "you are weird" she said.

Lit really want to roll his eye. This girl always laugh by herself and now she talks with a squirrel, and now she said he is weird. Something is definitely off with her brain.

"I heard it all the time. So, what is your story?" asks Lit again.

The girl looks at her thin box again. Lit looks at it. There is a picture on that box, some people that looks like the weird girl. Lit thinks it might be the picture of her family. 

"is that your family?" 

"Yes, I miss them" said the girl. 

"how's they died?" asks Lit. The girl then hit Lit in the head.

"who said about died? they're just living in other country" she said annoyed. Lit rub his head, this girl has anger management issue.

"you don't have to hit my head" he shout back, "anyway, why suddenly you miss them?"

The girl pause and looks solemn again, "I always miss them, but this time in particular, I miss them so much"

"what is so special about this time?" 

"today's is Eid al-Fitr, usually at this time we have celebration at home, this is the first time that I am away from my family during Eid al-Fitr" she said.

"Eid al-Fitr? weird name, what it is anyway?" ask Lit. The girl looks at him funny again.

"are you living in a cave or what? you've never heard about Eid al-Fitr before? it is one of the biggest celebration for moslem" said the girl.

Lit look at the girl again, "are you blind? I'm a squirrel, I'm living on a tree, and I can't read, what do you expect???". Lit's just shaking his head, this girl is certifiably weird. 

The girl sighs. "ok, so here's the thing, I am a muslim you know, and every year after the month of Ramadhan --that is the 9th month in islam's calendar, we use Hijri calendar based on the movement of the moon by the way" she starts, Lit just nod.

"so, at the end of ramadhan, on the first day of the next month, shawwal, we have this celebration called Eid al-Fitr, this is quite a big day for muslim, and back home, it is a very big deal" said the girl.

"do you require to spend the time with your family?" asks Lit.

"not required, it just part of the tradition" said the girl. "you see, in my country most people are muslim too, so we have quite a big tradition for Eid al-Fitr, family gathering is one essential part of the tradition, this is the only time when nothing's is more important than being with your family"

"so, why don't you go home then?" ask Lit again.

"I have classes during this time. In this country, Eid al-Fitr is not public holiday, so I cannot go home, back home, we have long holiday for Eid al-Fitr" said the girl again.

"then why you come to study at this country?" asks Lit again, the girl look at him.

"what?" ask her.

"if being with your family is so important, why you leave them and study here, don't you have good university there?"

"we have, but here is better" she said. 

"is it so important for you to go to better university? to the point you are okay of being away from your family?" ask Lit again. The girl pause, she looks lost in thought.

"that... is a very good question" she starts, "you see Lit, I have a dream, and I think that one of the way to achieve that dream is become well educated in the field, and if I want to study that field it is better to come here, so I come here".

"so, for you, your dream is more important than your family?" 

The girl pause again. She looks away to the distance.

"I think, it is not about which is more important. You see, my father taught me that sometimes it is necessary to makes a sacrifice when you want to achieve something big, being away from my family is my sacrifice"

"but it makes you sad, right?" 

The girl smile, "of course it is, they are the most important part of my life. But Lit, dealing with the sadness and moving forward is also part of the learning process, if I can get through with my study even though I feel sad or lonely, it means I will get more than just a degree when I graduate, I think I will be a better person, more independent at the very least".

"oh, independent, yeah, I know about independent, some students also told me a story about that before, yes that is important thing" then Lit stop for awhile, "you know, I think I get it, it is what they called as 'going outside your comfort zone' right?" 

The girl looks impressed, "yes Lit, you are very smart for a squirrel".

"thank you, and you also have quite a story weird girl, thank you for telling me, and maybe after this time, you will be less sad when you miss your family, because you have passed the time when you miss your family the most" said Lit.

The girl smile at Lit, "wow, you are a very weird yet smart squirrel" she said.

"you are weirder, you talk with a squirrel remember?" 

The girl just nod, "maybe, but you never know when, where or from whom you can learn something right?" 

"true, I agree with you" said Lit.

Then, the Bell Tower rings again.

"ah, that's my cue, now it is time for running exercise" said Lit.

"you have running exercise?" ask the girl bewildered. 

"yes, I plan to join a marathon in 3 months, I cannot miss my training, ok see you later weird girl"

With a little wave, Lit then run back to his tree to take his running gear. He needs to step up his game, his last time was horrible and he needs to improve that. He looks across the Diag to where the girl sit, she is still there. Lit wave at her again, and the girl wave back. Observation today is a little bit weird, but Lit thinks he learn something. He climb down his tree and start running. He has a very tight schedule.

No comments: