Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Long Weekend in Bandung: Trans Studio Bandung & Braga

We have a very long-weekend holiday last week. In spirit of celebrating Islamic new year, the government decided to pronounce last Thursday and Friday as public holiday. As usual, I went back to Bandung, but at this time I spent it most with my friends.

We finally visited Trans Studio Bandung at Friday. By 'we' I mean me, Ayu and Sonia.  The place itself has been an upcoming destination in Bandung since its opening at 2011. We planned it for quite sometimes, but never really get the chance. We decided to visit it at Friday with the hope that it wouldn't be as crowded as in Saturday or Sunday.

On Saturday, I have a lunch-date with Poets. She told me that there is an exhibition at Gedung Gas Negara at Jalan Braga. It got my attention immediately, because the building has been vacant for a long time and the last time I checked, it is in a very bad shape. The exhibition itself is part of an event hold by Ikatan Mahasiswa Arsitektur Gunadharma ITB. And Poets as part of Bandung Heritage Society also prepare some material to be exhibited in the event. We agree to meet at Braga Huis at lunchtime and then head to Gedung Gas Negara to watch the exhibition.

The exhibition was awesome! The theme of the exhibition are architecture, heritage and art. There are materials showed the architectural analysis on Braga area and also other old colonial buildings in Bandung. From the exhibition, I knew that there were actually 2 colonial time architect by the name of Schoemaker, they are brothers, Richard Schoemaker and C.P Wolff Schoemaker. The name Schoemaker has been tied to most historical buildings in Bandung. Bandung Heritage society also exhibit some materials regarding historical building preservation and some studies on urban planning. I found Poets's name on some of the materials and feels oddly smug because I come with her, just WOW. 

I left the exhibition at 5 p.m. The committee said that the exhibition has surpassed their expectation of attendee, there were more than 1500 people came in 1 week. I feel deeply grateful for the committee from IMA-G ITB for holding the event in the building. It just feels nice to finally see people with so much passion for heritage preservation. And most of all, I love people that love Bandung :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

eh, wasn't it saturday, put?? hehe..
mana foto lucu kitaaaa?? aku mau diemailin dooongg.. hihihihihihi...

Unknown said...

ah yaa... my bad :D
diganti... diganti...