Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Movie: Breaking Dawn part 2

First of all, I don’t even understand why I have the spirit to write about this movie while in fact, I had an incredible string of much better movies last month, to mention some of them, Skyfall, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt trifecta Premium Rush, Looper and 50/50. So, why Breaking Dawn pt.2? well, it simple, because finally this series is OVER!File:The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 2 poster.jpg
Let’s see... I’m not the kind of hater or nay-sayers about the whole franchise. Actually, I’m among the earlier reader of Twilight saga and love it. But I have to make it clear that, the thing that I love about Twilight books is the conversation. I like the usage of somekind of what me and my friend called ‘middle-age demeanor’ that so trustingly embedded in Edward Cullen. And then, as infectious as swine flu, writers jump to ‘make-it-to-movie’ train and voila... 5 unbearable movies that make the series worse than it actually are.

Here the things, since the first twilight movie, I always thought that the cast is dead wrong. Not in term of looks, but in term of acting capability, well some sort in looks too, but not too much. I always get sick everytime I watched Kristen Stewart acts. She have that washboard face of her that actually look flat eventhough people try to rub an ugly thick carpet in her face. Seriously dude, where’s your expression???

And then come the teenage girl infatuation, Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen. Well, at least he has some expressions, eventhough I don’t know why he have to look mushy all the time. He's hot, but I never imagine Edward as somekind of boy with stupid smirk and mellow eyes. And the others, ah... I can’t say anything about the others, there will be too much disappointment from me about the cast, so, I think it’s kinda late to go all wishy-washy on the cast, they already there for the whole series.


Breaking Dawn pt.2 is as boring as I predicted it would be. I will say, the screenplay just weak. I don’t know why all the Twilight movies have to be so dense in frames but dull in conversation. In part 2, half of the movie is like a jumble of scenes with unclear relation. And most of the time, Part 2 full of scenes where a bunch of vampires pose in a room and trying to look good. No fluid movement of plot, it is like watching slideshow. Another thing is, what’s with the shaky camera? Everytime the frame panning, it blurs and shaky. My friend said that maybe it just trying to look natural, well, for me it hurts my eyes.

The CGI, like the previous movies, looks cheap. And those CGI generated face of Renesmee are creepy. I understand the necessity, but I think hollywood have produced enough movie with better CGI, can they just hire someone better to do the job?

I’m bored almost all the way to the ending. The first 30 minutes I spent with gigling and restraining myself from shouting some nasty comments. Watching this movie is good to train your patience. The thing gets interesting the moment they cut Carlisle’s head. At the time I thought, “WTF? they change the story? hell yes!” Finally someone smart and brave enough to change the story. And it goes down to the battle, that is something I enjoy and then... Dang, it's just a vision. What? Okay that's anticlimactic. In fact the whole theater were laughing at that point. The story back to its too-happy-even-for-fiction ending just like in the book. I never understand why Stephenie Meyer is so against a good fight or making someone’s died. If you say that the Volturi is a very powerful entity, then it’s just logical that someone has to be dead when fighting them. Be it Carlisle or Jasper or Both or other crucial character maybe, it will be worth it, there has to be casualties. But she insist of making the ending happily ever after. The Volturi leave without fight, Renesmee live for a very long time, and in the movie even there’s some creepy vision of grown up Renesmee spend the time with Jacob and meet her equally young parent. Duh, it gets boring again in the end. Eventhough, I have to praise their creativity in adding the vision-battle sequence. It gave it a little ripple.

Surprisingly, the thing that make Breaking Dawn pt.2 slightly better than its predecessor is the only sequence that doesn’t exist in the book: the battle sequence. Like I said, the whole Twilight books is good in its conversational level, so, when they simplified the whole conversation in the movie, it gets dull. Not event in the whole 4 books of twilight that there’re actually a real battle. The one in the Eclipse is not even like a fight. So, the fight in the movie is refreshing on so many level.

The other good thing about the movie is the songs. Like its predecessors, beside the original score, there are also some insert songs as background for some scenes. The songs are great. It catch my ear immediately and I make a mental note to hunt down the song the next day.

And finally, I will say, the only proper intention allowed in watching this movie is to know how the series end. Don’t ever expect some good film-making, acting, special effect or anything. Just watch it for the sake of celebrating that finally, this series come to an end and then we can get a whole week spend on talking bad and good (mostly bad) things about the movie and it will be forgotten. The upcoming christmas holiday movies seems to have better promise after all, there are Lincoln, The Hobbit, Hitchcock, and even Life of Pi. So, lets shut down our Twilight saga drawer and prepare ourselves for much better movies to come.

No comments: