Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Virtually New York

I always get fascinated by New York City. I love songs about New York, from the classic "New York, New York" to the modern one like "Empire State of Mind". Most of my favourite movies take place in New York, from "Breakfast at Tiffanys" to "You've Got Mail" to the recent "Premium Rush". I've never been to New York, but New York is the only city in the US that I want to visit.

And then, there's this magical thing from the 21st century called internet, that enable people from developing asian country with limited budget like me to wander around New York city without visiting it. I like to wander around New York through Google maps street view. Checking out Apple store at 5th Avenue, wondering about how nice it will be to reading a book on a bench under a big tree in Central Park, watching people jogging or toddler playing in the meanwhile. Sitting on the steps of Met Museum and taking picture of all those people hanging around there. Gazing up from the intersection of Time Square to the those giant billboards around it. And maybe walking along 5th Avenue toward the Empire State Building. Well, I've done that virtually and hope can do it literally in the future. 

In the mean time, I find this blog,  Humans of New York. It's a fascinating blog. When I'm wandering around New York through Google Maps street view for its scenery, then I will know a little about its people through this blog. The photographer, Brandon, take picture of stranger in the street of New York City and write short caption or description when post it to his blog. It's like The Sartorialist of common sense, not so fashionable, not so glamour, just real. The picture he take give people a story, and will make us wonder what does it feels to meet those many people, have a little chat while asking to take their picture. I admire his brave in engaging with stranger and his passion that transfer those photos into a fascinating stories. And I also envy his opportunity to meet those varieties of people, including the toddlers. 


I've been following his blog for quite sometimes, and I recommend this blog to people that always has a dream to visit New York City someday, and maybe to those that has interest to meet thousands of people with different stories, virtually. 

1 comment:

Batari Saraswati said...

wow Humans of NY is interesting. Thanks Puput!